Frequently Asked Questions
About the Course
1. Is Crewclass a Health and Safety Course?
Crewclass gives an overview on Health and Safety and Good Practice. We leave site specific and company specific codes of practice to individual employers and venues.
2. Is Crewclass just about Humping and Dumping?
No, in fact the opposite. Crewclass discusses the “manpower” side of the crewing industry, but the content covers a far wider platform. Over the day the course delivers a broad introduction to lighting, sound, set design and construction, production management, as well as site logistics and physical labour.
3. Does Crewclass lead to a guaranteed job in the industry?
There are no guarantees, but it certainly improves your chances. Every day more and more industry employers are becoming aware of the content of the course. Your Certificate of Attendance assures them that you have in place enough relevant knowledge to be of immediate use to them.
4. I already have some experience, is Crewclass going to tell me anything I don’t already know?
Almost certainly! The course covers many different areas of the industry. Those with gig experience may not be aware of how things are done in theatre, and vice versa. Also, often one doesn’t know what one doesn’t know! Being deep-ended and discovering that your knowledge wasn’t as broad as you thought can be an unpleasant and embarrassing experience! Crewclass limits the danger of that happening.
5. Will this introductory backstage course be useful to me, even though I’m a graduate?
Well, it won’t do any harm, that’s for sure. Attending the day may well re-affirm things you thought to be true, and open your eyes to areas that may have slipped under your radar.
6. What is involved on the course?
After discussing the “Universal Truth’s” of crewing, handy tools & safety equipment, the presentation follows the pattern of a typical production “load-in” day, and covers each department as the crew would encounter them:-
- Power – 3 phase & single phase. Cable recognition. Safe practice
- Rigging – How to assist qualified riggers. Product recognition. Theatre & event rigging. Ladders, towers, & MEWPS
- Lighting – Different lanterns for different uses. Control & DMX. Intelligent lights & LED fixtures
- Sound – Small & large PA systems. Onstage equipment. Concert & theatre sound design & management
- Staging – Temporary stage systems for events. Set & stage in theatre. Theatre & concert stage management
- Video – Projection & relay in corporate events, concert, & theatre. Pixel & LED walls. Design & hardware
The course is a full day from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm with a lunch break in between. The day concludes with a discussion about career options, strategies, crewing agencies, useful websites, and advice on how to make your next move in the industry. We finish up with a drink in the theatre bar and informal chat with invited backstage production professionals, and finally wrap things up about 7:30 pm.
1. How much does the course cost?
The Crewclass Introductory Backstage Crew Training Course costs just £100 per person.
2. How do I enrol on the Course?
Please click the enrol link to book your place(s) on the course.
3. Can I book multiple places on the course, and is there a limit?
Yes, you most certainly can. Simply select the number of delegates that are attending before clicking the enrol button. Each course date has a maximum of 20 places available.
4. Does the course allow me to enrol from outside of the UK?
Our course enrolment system will only accept payments from within the UK. However, if you are planning to attend the course whilst visiting the UK, we can send you a private invoice via email.
5. How do I pay?
You can pay via Paypal which gives you the option of using Visa, Mastercard and Maestro debit cards. Alternatively, you can make a direct payment using BACS Transfer.
6. Will my payment be secure?
Yes, absolutely! Payments via Paypal uses the latest in data encryption and anti-fraud technology to help keep your information secure. Payments made using BACS Transfer simply require you to instruct your own bank to transfer secure payment directly into our account.
7. What is your Refund Policy?
You can review our full Refund Policy terms here.
8. Do you offer a course discount?
Yes we do. Please contact us for more details with regards to claiming a discount.